Wednesday, February 15, 2017

The Romantic Pull of Office Supplies, by the Take 5 Writers



I was confused when my sweetheart gave me a stapler for Valentine’s Day.  He looked at me with an unabashed enthusiasm, like clearly this was the best gift ever.

“Thank you,” I told him, trying to force enthusiasm into my voice and failing miserably. 

Every year he buys me office supplies for Valentine’s Day. Why? I don’t know. Now thinking about it, I am a secretary and I always buy supplies for my desk. But he thinks I need to prioritize other things or we might divorce. [This story needed some drama.] 

I tried my best to tell him how great my gift was, but he knew I would prefer chocolates or roses over a stapler. But then again I might not because I am very cheap. Since I’m cheap, he’s not expecting anything for Valentine’s Day. 

The next day after Valentine’s Day my sweetheart gave me a million! Unfortunately, it wall one million in Zimbabwe’s currency. 

Now that I think about it, I would like Valentine’s Day to never end. It makes sense to me because our hearts will be filled with joy and as much love as we are capable of sharing with everyone. Much love to all.

I was feeling optimistic about love and the future and our lives together until we arrived in Zimbabwe and found out that one million was the price of a tomato.

So, ever the optimist, I bought a tomato in Zimbabwe and sat down to eat my Valentine’s Day “candy.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment